Wednesday 1 July 2015

The Journey of a Thousand Miles...

 


     I've been toying with the idea of a school-related blog for sometime, after abandoning a personal blog around 2008 (the same year I returned to university full time. Coincidence?)... Summer brings for teachers the opportunity  to relax, rejuvenate but to also reflect. I've always subscribed to the idea that reflection is critical to pedagogy and frequently record my thoughts privately in an attempt to  improve my practice. Oddly enough, whenever I think of the desire to "be better', my mind always tuns to Dr. Evil in the first Austin Powers movie. {Forgive the interlude, but I do have a point here}. Dr. Evil is seated in a circle with a group of people engaged in family counselling. Dr. Evil is relating the story of his childhood, and the quote that stands out for me is Evil's description of his father as "relentlessly self-improving." The whole monologue is hilarious (luge lessons, meat helmets et al.), but those three words have always stuck with me. I was the student who pushed myself, even when I achieved a 99% in a class, I wasn't satisfied. When I actually earned a 100% on a final exam in university, it wasn't as satisfying as I had expected, and I downplayed the achievement. What those moments taught me was that even when a personal goal is achieved, there can often be the desire to push further, to learn more. I also learned that the end product isn't necessarily the reward in itself, but rather it is the process that promotes motivation. Unfortunately for some, reaching one summit is "good enough" for them. I struggle at times to understand the particular mindset where a person feels that achieving a specific mark, a certain distance in a road race, or even a continuous contract is the pinnacle of success. During the course of pursuing my Bachelor of Education, many people, including me, wrote in their philosophies of teaching that they valued lifelong learning. What I have seen in my professional life is that for whatever reason, some people lose sight of the necessity to hone skills, push boundaries and take risks. It is my hope that as an instructional leader, I can facilitate a culture of risk and promote change in our school. It will be messy, it will be frustrating at times, but it will also be a journey with its own rewards.




No comments:

Post a Comment